The Destroyer is hostile and destructive. These leaders use verbal and non-verbal behaviors to demoralize and diminish others. They prioritize short-term, self-enhancing goals over long-term, organizational goals.
These toxic leaders have volatile temperaments, and they dominate their employees using fear-based tactics intended to undermine the employee’s self-confidence and psychological safety.
Destroyers tend to:
- Intimidate and threaten employees who interfere with their goals
- Verbally abuse subordinates by calling them names, mocking, ridiculing, or humiliating them
- Have outbursts or angry tantrums
- Pit employees against each other
- Make impulsive decisions
- Take credit for their employees’ work